Our brave men and women go from having a structured life to a completely new environment where there is limited understanding of them and their needs, which can expose them to certain vulnerabilities. Some have experienced trauma through their service and suffer physical and psychological injuries such as PTSD. They and their families need support and the pathways to recovery.
The RSL Active model will deliver a safe and welcoming environment for not only the veteran but also the veteran’s family, and include peer-to-peer support, mentoring and career counselling.
RSL Active has been established by RSL SA and has the potential to become a national program. The program encourages veterans to remain active and healthy as they transition to civilian life. Some of the planned activities include:
- Cycling group rides
- Rowing and Kayaking trips
- Walking groups and Gym access
- Art groups, Meditation classes, Equine Therapy
- Camping trips, social outings and school holiday programs
- Social/Family Reintegration activities
- Adaptive sports and pathways to the Invictus Games
- Peer-to-peer support and mentoring
- Career counselling and access to training and education programs
- Pathways to employment