Services Cemeteries Trust

The Services Cemeteries Trust is a service provided by the RSL to the next-of-kin of ex-service personnel.

When an ex-service person dies their next of kin may want to have their remains placed in an ex-service section of a cemetery.

The Trust handles the provision and placement of memorial plaques in various cemeteries throughout South Australia.

The main cemeteries we deal with are Centennial Park and Enfield in the city, and the county cemeteries of Port Pirie, Port Lincoln, Murray Bridge,
Strathalbyn and  the Upper Murray Garden of Remembrance.

For interment into an ex-service section of a cemetery, a person must have been a member
of the 'Australian armed forces' or the 'armed forces of our allies'.

A service plaque contains basic service details and one of the recognised service emblems including: Army, Navy, R.A.A.F etc.


Centennial Park Cemetery

Centennial Park Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the southern suburbs and, one of the largest in the Adelaide metropolitan area.

The options available for commemoration are:

Earth Burial: Download form here

Garden Edge: Download form here

Repository: Download form here


Regional Cemeteries

The Service Cemetery Trust supplies the application form for a plaque to be used for a private commemoration in regional cemeteries.

The options available for commemoration are:

Earth Burial: Download form here

Niche Plaque: Download form here

Spousal Plaque: Download form here


Kibby Gardens Cemetery

Sweeping expanses of manicured lawns, and a diverse range of feature gardens make Enfield Memorial Park Adelaide’s premier lawn cemetery.

The options available for commemoration are:

Earth Burial: Download form here

Niche Plaque: Download form here

War Graves

The Office of Australian War Graves (OAWG) is a part of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. It provides and maintains, free of charge, official commemoration for eligible Australian veterans who die in war of conflict, or who die after service in a war or conflict of causes related to that service.

War service is an essential prerequisite of eligibility.

Veterans eligible for official commemorations are:

  • Those who die while on war service, or whose deaths after service are accepted as being due to war service;
  • Those veterans who saw war service and were in receipt of a totally and Permanently Incapacitated Pension (Y&PI), a Temporary Special Rate Pension (TSR), an Intermediate Rate Pension (INT) or an Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA);
  • Multiple amputees receiving Section 27.1 maximum pension rate where war service has been proven;
  • Ex-prisoners of war;
  • Victoria Cross recipients; and
  • Eligible under the Military Rehabilitation Compensation Act 2004.

When the death of an eligible veteran is notified to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), the relevant DVA State advises the OAWG of the veteran’s eligibility for official commemoration. The OAWG then forwards and Application for Official Commemoration form to the nominated contact. There are a number of ways in which an eligible veteran can be officially commemorated. These are either at the veteran’s grave in a cemetery, by the placement of ashes in a crematorium or, alternatively, in an OAWG Garden of Remembrance.

All veterans who served, whether they are eligible for official commemoration or not, can use the appropriate service badge on the private memorial. Permission for Second World War, Korean War and Vietnam War veterans can be obtained from the relevant Nominal Roll website:

Permission for veterans of other wars and conflicts in obtained by contacting OAWG by email, by fax to 02 6289 4861 or by mail to:

The Office of Australian War Graves

GPO Box 9998


Proof of the veteran’s service must accompany the request for permission.

The Office of Australian War Graves information brochure, detailing the services and official commemorations provided by the OAWG may be obtained from your nearest DVA office or by contacting the Office of Australian War Graves, on telephone (02) 6289 6517, 1800 555 254 toll free or fax (02) 6289 4861.